Liza and the Lions: Ghana 2010

Everybody thinks its crazy, but its an adventure that I am never going to forget. Four months, living and studying in Ghana, Africa. In the city of Accra I'll go to school at NYU University and Ashesi University, and volunteer throughout the city. January 9th I am off, returning May 16th, two days before my 21st birthday. What's gonna happen in between is a total mystery to me, but it'll be an adventure!!
Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 8, 2010

A Week with My Man

---This past week my boyfriend came all the way to Africa to visit me. Just to think, a guy traveled around the world for little old me! That'll be a confidence booster for years to come. It was a fantastic time and it was great to be able to show someone around instead of feeling like the tourist. I felt like I really knew what was going on, and I was very in control of my environment and situation in life. I took Steve on all the adventures I felt were really necessary while in Accra, and although it was very adventurous and a lot of travel I think he enjoyed himself. Sometimes I think I am too adventurous for the poor kid, but he stays around all the same and comes with me on whatever adventure I say. Truly a great guy.
---Having Steve here felt like home was coming to Ghana. It was bizarre. Coming to Ghana I was completely estranged and alone. I knew no one, knew nothing, I was a newborn. Having Steve come was bringing something that I was so comfortable with, and knew so well, into a place that was always surprising me with wild new things. It was bittersweet. Having him leave was really hard, yet I soon realized it was just a return to normalcy to be alone in Ghana. It helped to remind me that its important to be alone. I need that alone time to get back to myself, back to my roots. Yet as I thought about this on the tro-tro today I realized that coming to Ghana, I was not as far from myself as I thought I was. I came to Africa thinking I would recharge my batteries--be stripped of everything but my necessities to again expose my core. I often feel the need to do this. Go somewhere new and different to help get back to myself, my inner core, the real raw me. Being in Ghana has helped me realize that for the first time in my life, I feel as if the raw me, and the me in the United States with all the glitz and glamor, were not too different. My change of self was not so drastic after all.
---God I feel good in my skin.

1 comment: