---Before leaving for Spring Break '10 I realized I wasn't feeling quite well. Before heading off on a big excursion I knew I should get checked out before jumping off on adventures. I took a trip to the hospital, which in short was just lots and lots of procedure. First I sat in a reception area, where I was handed a number and a form to fill out. When I handed in my form they also took my number and my health care card, and told me to be seated. About an hour later I was handed a laminated ID card for the hospital, and they even laminated my health care card for me. Then I was directed to another room where I waited to get my weight, blood pressure, and temperature taken (which they did through my armpit, that was a first). After that I was directed to a waiting room where I would eventually see a doctor. It was only about an hour before I was called in, and I sat down and told him what I thought was my diagnosis, which he thought was very brilliant. He told me I would have to go to a few more rooms, then report back to him later. Slightly confused, I headed out the door where a nurse directed me to the billing room, where I waited some more. I went to the lab to get some tests done and waited for two hours for the results to come out. I was given a form which I was told to bring back to the doctor I was originally seen by. The doctor read the form, wrote me a prescription, and wished me good health. The pharmacy in the hospital filled my prescription and told me that was it, I was all done.
---Things to be noted. The hospital was clean, nice looking, and most notable--very spaciously open. The whole place was filled with courtyards and open room with no walls. The hallways and reception area were all just covered by awnings, otherwise open. There were lots of male doctors, female nurses, and I kinda felt like I was in a 1950's hospital because of that. It felt very World War II. However the thing that shocked me the most was that as I walked out the door, I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that my wallet was still located at the bottom of my bag. Not because it had been made much lighter by paying hundreds and hundreds of medical fees. It wasn't touched. It wasn't manhandled by Ghanian health care! I was completely shocked, and thrilled. Ghana, Canada. United States, I think it's time we jump on the free health care train because I love it!!
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment