Liza and the Lions: Ghana 2010

Everybody thinks its crazy, but its an adventure that I am never going to forget. Four months, living and studying in Ghana, Africa. In the city of Accra I'll go to school at NYU University and Ashesi University, and volunteer throughout the city. January 9th I am off, returning May 16th, two days before my 21st birthday. What's gonna happen in between is a total mystery to me, but it'll be an adventure!!
Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 8, 2010

Somebody's Heart is Burning

---Hm. Lets see.
---First thing that is on my mind is simply a chapter I read from a book I picked up today, Somebody's Heart is Burning by Tanya Shaffer. The book tells the story of a white woman exploring Africa, and the chapter that is clinging with me was called Telegram. It was about the authors interaction with an African-American woman in Ghana named Nadhiri. Nadhiri came to Ghana with Marcus Garvey imprinted on her mind, a man who believed that African's and those of the diaspora should all live together in one country, without any obruni. Nadhiri believed in Garvey so deeply, and fully supported complete segregation between blacks and whites. I was blown out of the water. Unfortunately when I read or hear about someone supporting segregation I immediately picture a Southern, white, messy red headed hic with bad teeth and a bad education. You have to be completely ass backwards to believe in segregation, if I may be so blunt. To read about an African-American, highly educated woman who refused to go to school with people of white colored skin was just mind blowing to me. I was so sad and weary after reading the chapter. It's so sad and confusing to me that some people can honestly still believe in a thing like segregation. We are humans. Why and how do you separate one from another?

1 comment: