Monday, May 17, 2010
An Obruni at Home
Today I ran around running some errands and eating all the Ghanian food I knew I would miss (fried plantains, jollof rice). I brought an instrument around with me to keep me entertained on all my walking. They are two small balls connected by a rope, and inside are tiny seeds, so you can shake and spin them to make music. I walked past the school letting out and a boy called me over. He took my shakers (I never found out their true Ghanian name) and taught me tons of new moves and beats to create. I sat with him for a little as he tutored me and I fruitlessly tried to imitate his music making. It was something that is so commonplace in Ghana and something I've learned to appreciate so much. Everyone's willingness to stop and chat, and help, and teach each other. It really goes back to Ghana's value in community and family. Even though I was an obruni (foreigner) and am treated so differently than Ghanaians, I still feel part of a community in Ghana.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment