Liza and the Lions: Ghana 2010

Everybody thinks its crazy, but its an adventure that I am never going to forget. Four months, living and studying in Ghana, Africa. In the city of Accra I'll go to school at NYU University and Ashesi University, and volunteer throughout the city. January 9th I am off, returning May 16th, two days before my 21st birthday. What's gonna happen in between is a total mystery to me, but it'll be an adventure!!
Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 2, 2010

14 Days till Departure To Do List

---With only two weeks left and finals stressing everyone out we are all beginning to get homesick. Not homesick per-say, just longing for certain things at home. Everyone talks about what they'll do the moment they get home, the first food they'll eat, the first people they want to see. As soon as I don't have a twelve page paper hanging over my head I am sure I'll be more focused on my time left here. I still have plenty of activities planned, and last minute things to see, I just also have a conscious awareness of the amount of days till I get home.
---So today I went to make a list of things I am excited for in the United States. I started with concepts--efficiency (at restaurants, stores, general life), availability (of anything, but mostly food). I suddenly felt so... selfish? pretentious? ungrateful? I know that I am not these things, and that I appreciate everything about Ghanian culture and everything its taught me, but I felt so guilty wasting the little time I have left here. I immediately erased the list and thought instead about what cool adventures I'd go on this week. So here is that list instead:
-get dresses made
-go to the market
-go to Bojo beach in Kokrobide
-Volunteer at Street Girls Aid for a full day
-Visit Liberian refugee camp
-Learn how to cook bean stew, groundnut soup, jollof rice

No comments:

Post a Comment