Monday, May 17, 2010
My last Day in Ghana
I woke up and headed to Kineshi market, a three-story warehouse filled with everything and anything you could need. I walked around talking to everyone I could, singing and dancing in their stalls while I browsed the fabric selection. I played with a baby named Adom I've met a few times, an adorable two year old girl who loves to be held and play with your face. Her favorite being the, "I've-got-your-nose" game (my eye is currently suffering from a nice scratch straight across my lid cause we got a little too excited). I had a long talk with a man named Kofi who was trying to tell me what a pitiful country Ghana was, and how America is the only dignified country in the world. I was so sad to hear him talk like this, and as he tried to "explain" America to me, I tried to explain Ghana to him. "But this place is ugly! There is nothing pretty here, only smoke and garbage," he told me. "Have you been to Lake Volta? The mosques in the North? That's beauty. America also has trash, and garbage, and factories. I wish I could show you Newark." We parted ways agreeing to disagree. I spent the next few minutes saying goodbye to the city before heading on my last tro-tro ride back to my house. I ran some last minute errands, saying goodbye to friends, picking up dresses, throwing in my last load of laundry, before heading to the airport at 7:00.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment