Liza and the Lions: Ghana 2010

Everybody thinks its crazy, but its an adventure that I am never going to forget. Four months, living and studying in Ghana, Africa. In the city of Accra I'll go to school at NYU University and Ashesi University, and volunteer throughout the city. January 9th I am off, returning May 16th, two days before my 21st birthday. What's gonna happen in between is a total mystery to me, but it'll be an adventure!!
Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The End is Near!

---I want to explain a little bit about how I am feeling knowing that I only have 3 and a half weeks till I fly to the United States. I don't miss things, because I know they are at home waiting for me. Sushi, salad, peppers, berries, Julia's porch, basketball on my daddy's big tv, they're all going to be there when I come home--so I don't miss them. I just yearn for them. I am like a twelve year old shopping with my mother, I know my mom will buy me something by the time we're done, but I want it nooowwwww. But as much as I want these things I know I don't want to leave here. I want to go to New York for two weeks then come back here.
---All my close friends tell me I am the happiest I've ever been here. That comforts me, and confirms everything that I've felt so far while I've been here. But its a bit scary at the same time. What if I never find happiness like I do here? Could I really move my life away so far from my family and friends? There is a lot that I miss about home, but there is a lot more that I'll miss about here. The eager smiles of kids, the way women take you under their wing, the constant conversations on the street -- I don't know how I'll survive without all this in New York. Strangely enough I think of a place like the city and feel more comfortable with the idea of living there than I do on Long Island. Making friends with all the store owners on the street, passing the same people very day and sitting to chat for a minute before heading home-- that's what I want. Long Island filled with its avoiding eyes, passerby conversations and uninterested listeners scares the you know what out of me.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you can help us here get a bit of the community spirit and connection that you recognize is so important. Remember not to generalize too much about any group of people-they will stop in LI or NYC to chat and give you their right arm if you take the time to engage them. I usually dont, but I should.

    Anyway, I am so happy for you and expect that your sunshine will be even stronger than it was before-we need that brightness, so get your lame ass home asap!!

    ReplyDelete