Liza and the Lions: Ghana 2010

Everybody thinks its crazy, but its an adventure that I am never going to forget. Four months, living and studying in Ghana, Africa. In the city of Accra I'll go to school at NYU University and Ashesi University, and volunteer throughout the city. January 9th I am off, returning May 16th, two days before my 21st birthday. What's gonna happen in between is a total mystery to me, but it'll be an adventure!!
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Our adventure begins...

---My trip traveling around the Kwahu Platteau was so wonderful that the next weekend I wanted to travel again. My friend Kaivon and I were the only two who wanted to travel because that weekend shared a big event--the funeral of our administrator's mother, also known as the last President's wife. (Yup, the director of my program's father was the last President. He was put out of office by a coup, touchy subject.) So me and Kaivon decided we would go to Togo, the country to the right of Ghana. We left Friday morning and made it to Togo where we checked into our hotel and checked out some of the markets before heading to bed. The next morning we took in the main city Lome, comparing how different the city was from Accra. Because of all of Togo's political troubles the city is in shambles, certainly not the place for tourists, but a place to experience none the less if your living next door. It helped to show me how far Ghana had come since its independence in 1957. All of Lome's buildings were decrepit, and there were few businesses that really looked like they were making any real income. The city told you the country was in trouble.
---Although the recent elections went relatively peaceful, weeks later I was still witness to lots of political rallys, protests, and marches in the street from the opposing party, unhappy at their newly elected president. The people on the street quickly told me to shout and jeer along in an effort not to get harassed by them. Standing in the market I watched as the parade passed by and everyone in the street quickly pulled out a yellow handkerchief, shirt, or anything, to wave in the air in fake support of the protest. I was honestly a little frightened until I realized that this is that rough, corrupt Africa experience everyone looks for. I was in it. If only I knew how far into it I would get.
---Within twenty-four hours of my arrival in Togo Kaivon and I had our passports, all our money, and both our phones stolen.
---Let me repeat. I got my passport, money, phone stolen.
---Again. I GOT MY PASSPORT STOLEN.
---One more time. I GOT MY PASSPORT....back!

No comments:

Post a Comment