Liza and the Lions: Ghana 2010

Everybody thinks its crazy, but its an adventure that I am never going to forget. Four months, living and studying in Ghana, Africa. In the city of Accra I'll go to school at NYU University and Ashesi University, and volunteer throughout the city. January 9th I am off, returning May 16th, two days before my 21st birthday. What's gonna happen in between is a total mystery to me, but it'll be an adventure!!
Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 11, 2010

Well Hello Africa

I made it! So far so fabulous. I only want to write for a little because I feel too guilty sitting at the computer when I could be exploring. The plane ride was long long long, but alright. On the red eye flight, the 80 year old man next to me continually fell asleep on me. He must have taken an ambian because he wouldn't wake up for anything, I eventually just moved him myself. A little uncomfortable.
I made friends! I met a group of girls at JFK and we all immediately clicked, so thats comforting. I am living in a house of five girls, three of whom I really like, and one who has yet to arrive (London snow made 1/4 of the group arrive late). The house is AMAZING. Better than any college dorm in the US, with a decent kitchen and huge living room and common area, huge bedrooms, and a guest bathroom. And we have air conditioning we can use SPARINGLY. Surely not roughing it out here, but I am happy.
I just came from visiting the school I will be going to. It's not what I expected at all! So tiny! It's one little house with about three classrooms, two bathrooms, a common area, a kitchen, and a staff room. It's more like a house where the bedrooms have been converted in classrooms. Its so small, but the staff seem great. Then we went to a local restaurant and ate a buffet of food, all DELICIOUS. I had curry chicken, eggplant, spinach, peanut soup, friend plantains, all delicious but very spicy. It was also all very very oily, so I tried to only eat a little to help my stomach get adjusted. I got a cell phone and to make calls is expensive and tricky, but to receive them is free! So thats good. Now we have free time for the next half hour, then a meeting with our "RA's" to discuss house rules and then dinner.
Its beautiful, its not unbearably hot, I love the language, I love the culture, this is exactly where I am supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment