Tomorrow I start my first day of classes! All I have on schedule is a class called History of Pan Africanism, it sounds really awesome and I am pretty excited. I am really nervous however because all my classes are 3 hours long. The longest class I've ever taken is only 1 hour and 15 minutes, and even that is rough. We'll see, I am sure it'll be alright. It's at 1:00 so I have some time in the morning to get organized, maybe go for a walk, explore, we'll see what's in store for me. My roommates have class at 9 so I'll have the room to myself till class, it might be nice to have some 'me' time away from all the 'we' time I've been having.
Today was a very great day. We got to sleep late as we had a brunch at 10:30. My roommates and I planned to sleep till 10:00 but our bodies were so used to waking up at 7:30 that none of us could sleep past 8:45. We went to the brunch and were surprised by a big African drumming band! Then out came lots of dancers! It was amazing! They put on a small show and at the end invited us up to learn some of the moves! It was awesome, we all participated and had a wonderful time. And everyone had a great time laughing at us all too.
After brunch we went to a local public beach. It was filled with people and unfortunately quite dirty. The water had too much trash in it so I didnt really go in, just mainly dipped my feet in while I was walking along the beach. There were horses, tons of kids, tons of crabs, and lots of activities. You could take a surfing lesson, rent a boogy board or a surf board, ride one of the horses, it was pretty cool. I chose to opt for the cheaper activity and play with all the kids on the beach. They would all run up to us and ask us to play. Giggling and pointing the whole time. We made lots of friends with all the 8 year olds, and learned lots of fun games. My favorite game was called, "Change your pose." There is one leader of the game, who is in charge. The rest of the players stand around in a circle, and when the leader yells "change your pose!" you must strike a pose. He then yells, "Be that way!!" until he so chooses, making you stand in funny or lopsided stances for however long he decides. Then if you fall, or sometimes if he just doesnt like your pose, your "dead," or out of the game. He yells "change your pose" again and again, and the last person standing wins! The kids here are just amazing, its great to see what fun they can make for themselves with so little.
Its interesting to see all the kids interacting because of how much love they have for each other. They all call each other brother or sister, and have no shame in constantly giving each other hugs, or walking hand in hand. Even the boys will walk around hand in hand, or with the arms wrapped around each other. Although this public display of affection is common and perfectly acceptable, in Ghana homosexuality has been made illegal. It is so bizarre to me that a country so built on love and community can still hold such an offensive view on homosexuality. Young boys and girls are taught to love each other, no matter of sex and gender, and treat one another like family. However the government then says that they can only love those of the opposite sex. It's so sad to me, I wish there was something I could do, but I just feel so powerless.
Well its off to bed before the big day of classes. Wish me luck.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment