Liza and the Lions: Ghana 2010

Everybody thinks its crazy, but its an adventure that I am never going to forget. Four months, living and studying in Ghana, Africa. In the city of Accra I'll go to school at NYU University and Ashesi University, and volunteer throughout the city. January 9th I am off, returning May 16th, two days before my 21st birthday. What's gonna happen in between is a total mystery to me, but it'll be an adventure!!
Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Obruni Price

--I previously wrote about being a minority, yet still having the upper hand. Most times I feel this way, sometimes though, the minority bit really hits home.
--When I go to the market, or try to get a cab, I am always told double or triple the actual price. I get so jipped! Now Ghana thrives on being a bargaining country, its a cornerstone of their economy. However even in this style I am giving the 'obruni price.' I get so frustrated! I would like to think that I am somewhat of a traveler. I've done my fair share of flying, training, driving, walking, and I think I am pretty damn good at it (best when I am with a certain special 4 girls). Its offensive to me that when in Ghana I am treated like a dumb blonde slizzy freshman getting a cab at Newman Towers for the first time! Or from those not hailing from Loyola, getting ripped off on the streets of Manhattan! I am a good bargainer! I am a good traveler! Please don't treat me like some lost bo-dunk Southerner in Times Square!
---As I reflect I see that this is only one of the few ways I am treated as a minority, a obruni. However it also shows to me how easy I have it. I complain of being treated unfairly because cab drivers want me to pay them 10 cedi for a 2 cedi cab ride. My African-American friend here wasn't allowed to rent an apartment in the Manhattan because the building was evidently only filled with white people and she was turned away as soon as the realtor saw she was black. I never thought I would learn so much about the United States when I was in Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment