Liza and the Lions: Ghana 2010

Everybody thinks its crazy, but its an adventure that I am never going to forget. Four months, living and studying in Ghana, Africa. In the city of Accra I'll go to school at NYU University and Ashesi University, and volunteer throughout the city. January 9th I am off, returning May 16th, two days before my 21st birthday. What's gonna happen in between is a total mystery to me, but it'll be an adventure!!
Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 15, 2010

Basic Street Girls

I have a friend Ana who is volunteering at a group called Basics. It helps prostitutes and young mothers get somewhat of an education. Unfortunately the organization can't fund the girls enlistment in public schools, but they have their own schools where volunteers teach. Ana is currently teaching a fifteen year old mother how to write the letter N. Listen to Ana talk about her experiences at Basics I can't help but make a connection to my own volunteering. The effects are so obvious. Ana is working with the teenage prostitutes and I am working with their attention deprived children. Many people find fault in the mothers, leaving their children in these unwatched slums that try to call themselves a 'day care.' I sympathize with the mothers, I can not blame them. I've watched the mothers tearing themselves away from their screaming children, waving goodbye as they lock them in the courtyard. They need money to provide what little they can for their children, and they do it any way they can. Their children need food more than they need attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment