Liza and the Lions: Ghana 2010

Everybody thinks its crazy, but its an adventure that I am never going to forget. Four months, living and studying in Ghana, Africa. In the city of Accra I'll go to school at NYU University and Ashesi University, and volunteer throughout the city. January 9th I am off, returning May 16th, two days before my 21st birthday. What's gonna happen in between is a total mystery to me, but it'll be an adventure!!
Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Book Report

--I wrote this as a blog, but realized it would do better as my book report that I have to do. But I'll put it up anyways, so you can know what some of my reading is like. I guess. I dunno, read it or skip to the next one.
---I am reading a book for my literature class called "So Long a Letter" by Mariama Ba. It reads the diary of a African Islamic woman, abandoned by her husband on his conquest of a co-wife. Ramatoulaye decides to remain in her town, with her twelve children, constantly confronted with the shame her husband has placed upon her. This new co-wife, Binetou, is the same age as her eldest daughter, and was ironically introduced into the scenario through friendship with said girl. Ramatoulaye's courage and perseverance is remarkably admirable. She adopts the duties her husband had left behind, paying bills, repairing the house's leaky faucets, extinguished light bulbs, broken windows, while still holding onto her womanly tasks of cleaning, cooking and caring for her children. Her modern feministic views were obvious from the beginning, even during the happy parts of their marriage, yet by the end of the story the woman shreds all cocoons that held her back. She adherently rejects the proposal of her dead husbands younger brother, shaming him for asking her while still in mourning, reminding him that women do have hearts, brains, and options too. Her strength only continues to grow. After her mourning period ends she learns to forgive her husband, and wish him only the best in his afterlife. She listens to both her head and her heart, making smart decisions that although at times hard, will lead to the best results. She rears her children with a modern touch yet still with a respect for the past, teaching them to love each other, respect each other, but to remain smart, capable, and strong. The book ends with a changed woman. In the beginning of the book her suffering is heart wrenching. Her constant inner struggle between leaving, starting somewhere new afresh, and her staying, remaining headstrong and brave, thrusting her strength into the face of those who doubt her. Her lack of confidence, and self-inflictiong doubt and pain are brutal. Yet over time, with the help of her children, she transforms. She becomes a strong, independent, loving woman. Free of the stereotypes and pressures placed upon her by society she lives her life as she pleases. Raising her kids in a way too new for her community yet fully confident in her practices, declining marriage proposals that were so very convenient but not true to her heart. We met Ramatoulaye living her life as a woman, yet she departed from us divinely human.

No comments:

Post a Comment